Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Gender Imbalance

One of my newsletter readers picked up on the point in my Women's Studies speech where I pointed out the problems of educated women having no one to marry. She writes:
Was I the only one to say uh-oh, when Oprah decided to fund a highly unique education experiment with 40 girls in South Africa?

My very first thought was "Who are these girls going to marry?" If Oprah had really wanted to create an "idyllic" scenario for the girls, she should have had a boys companion school with 200 boys, so those 40 grown women could have a real choice of men. Men seem to manage just fine in marrying less educated women.

My daughter attends what used to be a girl's finishing school in southern Virginia. It was created as a sister school to VMI - and the plan worked well for over 100 years.

It is still politically incorrect to mention this, but yes, women find it easier to "marry up," than men do. In fact, women themselves don't like to "marry down." Since we aren't allowed to talk about anything assymetric between the sexes, don't hold your breath for the MSM to pick up on this problem.

2 comments:

Girls Can't WHAT? said...

Great post. I think this extends beyond just marriage. Men have trouble in general with women who are more educated than they are. I am experiencing this very situation where I have a music degree and lead a band. Some of the male band members have no college education, are older than me and are struggling to have to follow a "woman" as the band leader. I try very hard not to be a show-off about my education, but you can just see them cringe when I start to explain music theory to them in order to work through a song. They like to be right and it kills them when they have to admit that I actually know what I am doing.

Gretchen
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Girls Can't WHAT?

Anonymous said...

Every Sunday, I peruse the "Weddings" section of my local newspaper and notice that, in the vast majority of the couples, the bride has more education than the groom. The women often seem to have at least a bachelors degrees and often a masters or higher, as they are in the "traditional" female occupations of teachers and nurses that require it and the groom often has just a high school education, maybe a year or two of college or some technical training and are employed as civil servants, blue-collar service workers or self-employed in their own business (or family's business)
Sadly, they probably still earn more than their wives.