Saturday, June 16, 2007

Dads Keep Doing More!

We have taken on the arduous task of painting our own house. With paint sprayer and 40’ ladders and scaffolding rented, lugged and strategically placed, my husband has labored. One of the things I have appreciated is how he has made the world of machines more accessible to my children. They have learned how to work a paint sprayer, steady a ladder, set up scaffolding. My sons have a mowing business that would be out of business if it weren’t for their dad teaching them how to repair the various parts that break down. These mysteries are now comprehensible to them in a way that will help them be more effective men and women than they would be without it. I am so grateful for that.

I could praise my husband for many more things, such as his spiritual leadership, and his excellence as a cook, and his sense of humor, etc.



I recall going to baseball games and having great times. Encouragements to church attendance were worse than pushing a heavy object uphill. I wonder if words spoken there, scripture and example will count in later years. The main thing as a father I did, was to "stick with it" when giving up seemed far easier. Even now, the desire for communication is mostly one way. Yet, I think the kids all knew they were loved.

No comments: