Thursday, February 14, 2008

Clarence Thomas bio and the high cost of growing up

Some commenters have noted how long and hard it is for people, male and female alike to get financially established. I have long thought that student loans are a serious barrier to marriage and to fertility.
I am now reading Clarence Thomas's autobiography, and plan to review it. I was knocked out by this revelation: when he went on the Supreme Court, he still had student loans from Yale Law School.
Outrageous. These Ivy League schools have endowments larger than the GDP of third world countries. Yet they can't support a student like Thomas. The older generation, which used to be called The Establishment, is sucking the life out of the young.

1 comment:

LB said...

I don't have data to back this up, but I believe that private college tuition has grown at a faster pace than inflation, so today's students will have even more loans. Me, I'll still be paying when I'm in my late fifties.