Thursday, April 26, 2007

more from the families...

Thank you for writing the article that imagines what it would be like to be the parent of a seriously mentally ill child. The letter written by Seung Cho's sister was (I thought) a heartfelt response to an unspeakable tragedy. I don't know what the family was like except for an article I saw on the internet with an interview with a relative from South Korea. People will be interested (to some extent) in information about Cho's family, hopefully as a response to try and discover what may have helped to avert this tragedy. I am sure some articles will blame the parents and law enforcement, and then legislature for not having the right laws in place. Perhaps former psychologists or psychiatrists will be blamed as well. The website for NAMI, National Alliance for the Mentally Ill doesn't even want to count Cho as mentally ill, a fact that greatly lessens my opinion of NAMI. I am sad for all the families. And I know that as a parent of a seriously mentally ill child, it is a misery, so far, unmatched in my life.

No comments: