Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I Hate to Say I Told You So, But, I told you so....

I've been saying for some time that the path of marriage law is to reduce marriage to a series of 5 year renewable term contracts. Most recently, I said it in my Witherspoon article, here.

Now, someone is actually proposing it, in Germany. See here:

OK, so I was off by 2 years.They're proposing 7 year contract. Please notice, the proposal is serious; the FOX hosts and their guest are taking it seriously.
A bit of data:
it takes about 20 years for 50% of marriages to end in divorce.
Cohabiting couples are more likely to break up, than married couples. When cohabiting couples do get married, they have a higher divorce rate than couples who didn't live together. So, the advice given in this clip is grotesquely irresponsible.
Treating marriage as a contract will make you miserable. My first book, Love and Economics explains why.

1 comment:

Daughter of Eve said...

I think that after the sledgehammer effect on marriage of rampant divorce, same-sex marriage, and now this contractual "lease-a-marriage" arrangements, the real goal of anti-marriage advocates is to get people to not get married in the first place. And why they want a fractured society, with no concrete familial ties, is beyond me. Families tie civilizations together, and keep them civil.