Saturday, January 31, 2009

Industrially produced babies

The case of the octupulets gets more and more ethically challenged. The grandmother of all these babies is not happy.
Angela Suleman told The Associated Press she was not supportive when her daughter, Nadya Suleman, decided to have more embryos implanted last year.

"It can't go on any longer," she said in a phone interview Friday. "She's got six children and no husband. I was brought up the traditional way. I firmly believe in marriage. But she didn't want to get married."...

She said she warned her daughter that when she gets home from the hospital, "I'm going to be gone."...

Her daughter's obsession with children caused Angela Suleman considerable stress, so she sought help from a psychologist, who told her to order her daughter out of the house.

"Maybe she wouldn't have had so many kids then, but she is a grown woman," Angela Suleman said. "I feel responsible and I didn't want to throw her out."


This case seems bad because it is so extreme. However, in my opinion, the extremity of the case only highlights what is wrong with Artificial Reproductive Technology, and what has been wrong all along. The babies are products of industry and technology, rather products of love and relationship.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It would be interesting to find out who paid for her ART sessions and whether they can be legally obligated to provide for her and all these children so that the bill doesn't end up in the taxpayers' lap. She couldn't have afforded to pull this off on her own.

Dani said...

please... don't judge her like that. how rude of you guys do that. STOP!! no one is perfect, world isn't either!
I don't blame her. she love children. I absoutely LOVE children! I would love to have many children, at the moment, I have one child. I don't mind to adopt babies from 3rd world countries and have 3 biologically children. like I said, I love children. like mother of 8 babies said she could do it, well then she can do it. she have 6 kids, Nadya managed to do it. let her be..

8 babies is a miracle, it sure is! Once again, please not judge her and make her look bad because she have so many children? so what? look at big families such like The Duggars who have 18 children, they plan to add more children!!